Key Concepts of Lean
2 – Day Workshop
This workshop has been designed for individuals and teams that want to gain a better understanding of the components and underlying philosophy of lean, and how the elements and philosophy work together to create a Lean Enterprise.
The workshop is a mixture of lecture, videos, discussions, and a simulation.
This workshop will demonstrate how building the culture of continuous improvement depends on the alignment between three “P’s”: Purpose-Process-People. You will look into the process for formulating and deploying an organizational strategy aimed at delivering maximum value to the customer, discus the importance of making visible the horizontal flow of value to the customer, and learn about the critical importance of developing employee problem solving capabilities at all levels.
The factory simulation will help you understand the concepts of flow, pull, takt time, kaizen, work cell design, visual management and many others in a total business system context.
Small group discussions will provide an opportunity to share best practices, reflect on your learning, and develop new solutions to bring back to your organization.
Aims & Objectives
Focusing on three key areas – People, Process and Purpose – the program explores how the alignment between those three creates a Lean Enterprise.
How all the functions, individuals, and systems work together to deliver true value to customers creating competitive advantage and lasting business results. Items covered include:
- Key values of lean
- True North and the Line of Sight to the organizational goals
- Hoshin Planning / Policy Deployment and its role as a management system in a Lean Enterprise
- The challenges organizations face in implementing a lean transformation and suggested methods to deal with those challenges
In order to get real sustainable results in safety, quality, cost, delivery, and morale, one must bring all the tools of lean to work together as a system. Items covered include:
- Stability, flow, leveling, pull, standard work
- Visual enterprise and how to manage your visual systems
- Value-streams and value-stream mapping as a continuous improvement tool
- Waste and continuous removal of waste
The Toyota Production System is at heart a people-based system and successful lean transformations must be based on a people system. In the course of the workshop, we will discuss selection, training, involvement, and supervisory practices that create the foundation for lean.
The scientific Method of PDCA (plan, do, check, act)
- PDCA as a discipline that holds all organizational processes together and improves them on a continuous basis
- The work of management to support PDCA
- Structured problem solving to close organizational gaps
- A3 as a problem solving, management and communication tool
- Lean management system
- The role of leaders in building the lean organization
You will learn the key tools and how they fit together under a business system philosophy designed to continuously improve competitiveness by achieving the highest quality, lowest cost, and shortest lead time. You’ll understand why lean is fundamentally different from and superior to business models based on mass production.
This workshop will demonstrate the step-by-step thought process for implementing a lean transformation and how to extend it beyond your organization to improve supplier performance and customer satisfaction. You will discover new insight into lean management philosophy and its methods as well as the organizational structure and change management methods you’ll need for implementing lean in your business.
- Lean Solutions
- Lean Thinking
- The Birth of Lean
- Everything I Know About Lean I Learned in First Grade
- Kaizen Express
Who Should Attend?
Individuals or teams with little to moderate experience and exposure to lean who are looking to increase their understanding; managers who want an understanding of the total scope of implementing lean.
- Attendance - 2 Day Course
- Class size - Maximum 12 people per day
- Timings - Each day will run from 09:00 - 17:00
- Cost – General £790.00 / Consultant £900.00 per delegate per day with a 15% discount when 2 or more people from the same organisation attend
- Materials - A PDF copy of the materials will be available via the Lean Enterprise Academy website.
* Please note prices exclude VAT at the standard rate of 20%
We can also run these workshops in-house at your convenience, if you would like to explore this option please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1600 890590
Follow up (optional)
LEA provides an ongoing mentoring service for organisations involved in making Lean transformations. Lean Transformation Master Plans, supporting A3s & VSM’s developed by the organisation can be reviewed at 30/60/90 intervals. This provides the organisation with help and direction in sustaining the learning from the workshop process and helps highlight further learning opportunities that can be pulled, as and when required, by the organisation.