Introduction to Lean Leadership
1 – Day Workshop
Lean is often associated with the application of improvement tools to eliminate waste within a process by a few subject matter experts. This approach can deliver some incremental gains, but often it is not sustained and does not create a real step change in business performance.
The role of leadership is key to maximising the benefits of applying and sustaining Lean to help solve business problems. The Lean Enterprise Academy and the wider network of Lean Institutes around the world (the Lean Global Network) has been engaged in researching and codifying the key characteristics leaders need to achieve this.
Through instruction, small group discussions and exercises, the workshop participants will learn to:
- Reflect on their organisation’s and their own individual efforts to implement Lean.
- Understand the nature of Lean as a methodology of solving business problems.
- Understand the key roles, mindsets, behaviours and assumptions of Lean.
- Identify gaps between the current state and desired state of both the organisation and the individual.
- Review those gaps and develop a plan to close the gaps identified.
Aims & Objectives
The purpose of this workshop is to help leaders develop organisational and individual capabilities to sustain and expand Lean transformation. The workshop is designed to:
- Articulate and engage leaders in understanding the fundamentals of Lean thinking and Lean transformation process, and their role in taking an organisation to the next level of performance.
- Engage leaders in thinking about their business problem situation and their role in addressing it.
Conduct a reflection on what your organisation has done so far to improve performance
- Discuss strategies organisations use to grow and improve.
- Overview of the Lean Management System:
- Purpose, Process, People, PDCA
- Identify gaps between your organisation’s current and desired state.
- Conduct a reflection on what you have done as a leader that has had a big impact in the organisation.
- Discuss the key roles, mindsets, behaviours and assumptions of Lean leaders.
- Identify gaps between your organisation’s current and desired state for leadership.
- Use organizational and individual Lean assessments to develop a plan to move forward.
Topics that will be examined include
- Strategies companies use to grow and improve.
- The Lean management System – Purpose, Process, People, PDCA.
- Developing Vision, Values and True North.
- Value Stream Management.
- Workplace management.
- Waste, Overburden and Un-eveness.
- People development through problem solving.
- A3 Management.
- Lean Leadership – Go See, Ask Why, Show respect.
- Building a culture of PDCA.
- How to develop a current state assessment.
Through instruction, small group discussions and exercises, the workshop participants will:
- Reflect on their organisation’s efforts to implement Lean.
- Understand the nature of Lean as a methodology of problem solving that helps organisations learn and develop capabilities for growth and improvement.
- Identify gaps between the current state of the organisation and the desired state.
- Reflect on their own individual efforts to implement Lean.
- Understand the key roles, mindsets, behaviours and assumptions of Lean leaders that support the development of a sustainable culture of problem solving.
- Identify gaps between the current roles, mindsets, behaviours and assumptions and those of a Lean leader.
- Review those gaps (both at the organisational and individual levels) and develop a plan to close the gaps identified.
- Lean Thinking
- Managing to Learn
- Lead with Respect
- Learning to See
- The Toyota Way
- Toyota Kata
- Lean Manager
- Chasing the Rabbit
Who Should Attend?
- Leadership teams tasked with leading a business.
- Individuals tasked with leading a business.
- Individuals tasked with implementing lean.
- Individuals responsible for developing people capabilility.
- Attendance - 1 Day Course
- Class size - Maximum 12 people per day
- Timings - Each day will run from 09:00 - 17:00
- Cost – General £395.00 / Consultant £450.00 per delegate per day with a 15% discount when 2 or more people from the same organisation attend
- Materials - A PDF copy of the materials will be available via the Lean Enterprise Academy website.
* Please note prices exclude VAT at the standard rate of 20%
We can also run these workshops in-house at your convenience, if you would like to explore this option please contact us at email@example.com or call +44 (0)1600 890590
Follow up (optional)
LEA provides an ongoing mentoring service for organisations involved in making Lean transformations. Lean Transformation Master Plans, supporting A3s & VSM’s developed by the organisation can be reviewed at 30/60/90 intervals. This provides the organisation with help and direction in sustaining the learning from the workshop process and helps highlight further learning opportunities that can be pulled, as and when required, by the organisation.